That's why it's called a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be "the way".

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

It's All True

Once a week, everyone in my area in my profession get together to have a meeting. It's a quick meeting to say what's new, inform each other of events or remind of policy.

This morning we had that meeting. During the meeting, there was a question: Are there any community announcements?

One lady stands up and says this:

"I believe it is appropriate in a setting like this to talk about what we are thankful for. It is almost Thanksgiving. So here where we all stand up and say the Pledge of Allegiance at the meeting, I would like to take a moment to reflect upon the pilgrims. I would like to honor their bravery for leaving a country to start something new. I am not big on history, but I think they left for religious freedom. They were being oppressed by religion. I am thankful for a country with free speech. (Suddenly, I saw how free speech could backfire.) We should be thankful for this land. I believe that we should all be tolerant of people who are different than ourselves. I think that we need to push the separation of church and state."

Um....someone forgot to take her medication. She stood up to tell everyone to reflect on the pilgrims. I had women in black dresses and big white collars pop into my head. This woman is one of only 80 people who are against saying the Pledge of Allegiance when we get together in the morning. I don't know. It was just bizzare. But everytime she popped into my mind today, I died in a fit of giggles.

She got scattered applause when she sat down. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or to say my own speech on what I believe in. (Now that I have one from my last post.)