That's why it's called a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be "the way".

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Books on the Brain

Star had questions about my reading habits. I said it earlier and I'll say it again, I love these things. Woo hoo. And I do a lot more reading than listening to music or watching movies.

1. How much do you read?

Every day. Sometimes just for five minutes, sometimes for hours."

2. Favorite genre(s)?

I like fiction novels that have lots and lots of action. Spy novels are great. Therefore, I could never be part of Oprah's book club. I have never read those great modern books geared towards females like "He's not that into you" or anything.

3. What qualities must a book have to keep you up reading all night?
Fast paced plot. I cannot put a John Grisham book down once I start.

4. How do you find something to read?
I have plenty of books at home. I also will go buy books at WalMart. I take what’s readily available. I go to the library sometimes but when I forget to return a book on time, I always feel guilty and quit going for a while.

5. Favorite books and why?

Gone with the Wind- The pictures the author paints in my head are amazing. I also love the characters.

Til We Have Faces by CS Lewis- This is the myth of Cupid and Psyche retold. It is a really good read and so intense I am sure I miss at least half the meaning.

Walking Drum by Louis LaAmour- (Not a western.) I like it because it shows so many areas and customs and gives a lot of history of the world in the 12th Century.

Addtional Favorites: I love almost anything by Clive Cussler, JA Jance, John Grisham, Robert Ludlum, Michael Crichton and Dean Koontz. I used to get very involved in Tom Clancy books but he is too long winded in his descriptions of stuff that doesn’t add to the plot but just shows he did his research. I recently became interested in Vince Flynn.

I grew up reading all of the time. 99% of the time I could be found riding a bike or reading a book in my free time. I had a sophmore high school level reading skill in 3rd grade and a college level by 5th grade. I read a lot of fluff for fun because honestly I just like to turn my brain off and get lost in a book. I have read many of the classics, but I have to concentrate to read them. :)

6. What are you reading right now and is it any good?

Funny enough, I am reading "The Walking Drum" right now. I reread books quite often. I am also reading “What’s So Amazing about Grace” by Philip Yancey. I think he is a great Christian author. (My favorite one he wrote was “The Jesus I Never Knew”.) I am also constantly reading the Bible. I can see how people who don’t believe in God or Christ would get a lot out of the stories, too. They are universal truths and can apply to anyone on so many different levels.

7. Paperback or hard back?

Paperback. I have really, really old hard back books written in German from some ancestor in my house. I only buy hard back if they are on sale or if a book I was waiting to be released comes out.

8. Any great quotes?

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn. Actually, I am a quote nut and I would bore everyone to tears.