That's why it's called a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be "the way".

Thursday, May 05, 2005

I Love a Rainy Night

Amberland is a fly free, gun free zone. This is Amberland, not Iraq. Please contain your wars to your personal space. Thank you.

Now everyone, I want you to imagine (without closing your eyes because you have to read) that you are in the middle of a cool, green field. You hear rushing water, the sun is beating down on you warming your muscles. Butterflies flit among the wildflowers. There is a trolley in the distance.

Now, moving on.

I am cheap. I buy some items that are the assemble it yourself type of furniture. It is $80 at WalMart instead of $1000 at the furniture store. The catch is that I had to assemble it myself. J would've helped but I like to think I can do things on my own. Last time I built one of these doo-dads, it didn't work out well at all because I was missing pieces and using the wrong pieces for the wrong things.

So this time I decided to follow the instructions and lay everything out and make sure it was all accounted for. Check.

Then each step took about half an hour. I started at 6 and wasn't done until 11 last night. I would take breaks between the steps so I didn't go ape on the poor innocent prefab pieces.

I was down to the end of assembling this thing, I had even nailed the back on that made the whole thing rigid and held it all together. I go to put the door on and I figured out I had the bottom piece on upside down. There was a hole I needed to put the door into and it wasn't there. Being the resourceful woman I am, I started to drill. I drilled for about five minutes and it was looking ghetto, but I got the door thingie to fit.

Only thing is that the door itself was way too small for the space it was supposed to cover. It fit on the top, but at the bottom, there were 1" gaps on both sides of the door. The two sides of this long cabinet were not equally wide. When I inverted the bottom, it had the wide side on what was supposed to be the skinny side.

I went to go watch the Simpsons while J talked to his friend about his bass. ("Yeah, when I slap it, nasty stuff comes out of the box so I am getting a new one.")

He finally got done talking on the phone and asked me how it was going. I explained my dillema and told him I had tried to pry the nails off the back piece but it wasn't moving the nails, just destroying the back piece. He went to the garage and got some more tools. After much muttering under his breath, he got the back piece off enough to allow us to manuver the bottom piece only to find out there were screws and dowels and all sorts of other fun things holding in the bottom piece.

Long story short, we got it flipped around and I got the shelves in. There are two drawers to assemble but Jeremy will do those tonight. I have decided assembling cheap furniture is not my skill. I will continue to look for my skill.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »

4:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work arizona aguila accutane law marketing 1989 pontiac lemans 1988 honda prelude body kit Disc online mba program honda atvs Bentley satellite Gambling links.net web

12:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home