That's why it's called a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be "the way".

Thursday, May 26, 2005

I am a Hiker

I think I would like to be a writer in theory because I admire the ability of good writers to be able to tell a story in a way that creates a movie in my head and holds me through the end. I like sitting in bed reading, unable to move because I am mesmerised by what I am taking in to the point I will get up and interrupt the story for an emergency potty break sometimes.

But in reality, I have to be able to be on the move. I have to have the responsibility of managing a thousand different tasks at one time and knowing that I create my own wealth and paycheck by my ability to do business. I have to strategize timing. I have to choose which activities to perform and figure out which tasks to write off and no longer pursue. It is feast or famine by my own doing (although I strongly believe in the blessing of God).

I like everyday to be different. I like the ability to work a total of 10 hours one month and blog all day and the following month to work 12 hours a day, six days a week and four hours on the seventh day. I like that somedays I will spend 15 minutes at the computer in the morning and the rest of the day is taken up with phone calls and driving. I like prioritizing and taking off in the middle of the chaos for five days to go to Colorado for the hell of it.

And I don't think writing a book could ever get that crazy or change so drastically so much from one day to the next. I have great respect and a tinge of jealousy towards those who can use words as an art form and turn them into something worthwhile. I think books leave a mark on society (when widely read) that allows the author to continue to be known way after they are gone or no longer writing.

I know what I am doing in business is dust in the wind so to speak. It is why my volunteer work is so important, and yet that only lasts for a generation after me at the most.

Yet I am happy. I am fulfilled. I don't wrestle with demons. I don't loathe aspects of my life. I am able to look everything that comes my way in the proverbial face and deal with it and make it fit into my life and continue on. I don't lay down and take less than the stars because I only got to the moon. I keep pushing until I get where I want to go and I will die trying. I will have purpose until I breathe my last breath. I will always have something more beautiful, more meaningful to strive for. I have never reached a mountaintop and not seen another one in the distance to strike out for. I have never felt that I have arrived. I have never given up because I have felt like I should have arrived by now.

I have never gotten angry because there was no easy way to the top. I have never felt guilty for getting to the top because half the people quit and were still sitting in the valley. I am proud of the fact that I always get up. I rest. I find still pastures. I enjoy the scenery on the way. Heck, I even stop to smell the roses. I am rarely the first to the mountaintop, but I thouroughly enjoy the trip up.

I strap my boots on and take routes that are rarely trod. I balance many aspects of life where most can only concentrate on one or two. I spend time on what is important to me and I don't let my values get trod on to get to the top. I see the most spectacular beauty in life because of the ways that I go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home