That's why it's called a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be "the way".

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

I Panicked

I ran out of pickles. I panicked. I was needing a snack, something to munch on. I had to go pick up dry cleaning. It is just a block from Dairy Queen. I thought, Dairy Queen has frozen yogurt, right? So I went to the drive-thru speakerbox. I looked at the menu. I saw no mention of frozen yogurt. A tinny voice rang out, "I'll be with you in a moment." I panicked. I pulled out of line and drove to Sonic. They might have frozen yogurt, right?

I pulled into the station and gazed at the menu. Pictures of hotdogs, hamburgers and tater tots were calling out, "Amber...Amber..." I did not see yogurt on the menu. I left. I had dreams of just pulling into every fast food place in town and just reading the menu. That's calorie free, right? But I knew sooner or later I would break down and do something I was going to regret. My sister's voice rang in my head, "Don't you feel great when you exercise, like it's an accomplishment?"

I bore down. I went to Sweet Jill's. She had a sorbet smoothie. I asked what that was. Sorbet (fat free, dairy free but not sugar free) mixed with soda water. SOLD!

Sugar is not on my diet but if I didn't feed the need, I don't know what would have happened. I sucked on my sorbet smoothie very happily as I walked through the grocery store to pick up my pickles (a super-sized jar so that won't happen again), happily ignoring the chips and cookies and various items that were trying to catch my eye- the hookers of the supermarket. Sluts! All they want is to put out their sugar. They name their price and you can take them home and have your way with them.

But not me, I had my sorbet smoothie and my jar of pickles.