That's why it's called a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be "the way".

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Who Needs College?

Sunday I went to Phoenix. My best friend from college (well, actually I have two of them, three I guess if you count my husband) had a Super Bowl party. I saw some people that I have not seen in a loooong time. I got caught up on a group of people from college that I haven't really thought about since the last time I saw them. It is kinda funny where people end up. Not too many people are doing what they set out to do when they started college. One dude is the chaplain for the Phx Cardinals. Poor guy probably has to deal with players that suffer from depression quite often. It is almost more status to play for the Rattler's here. (I think that is the team name for AZ's arena football.) Someone else is in a band, traveling the US in a van. The guy I saw is a coach for a large Christian school in Phoenix. And on and on; someone just joined the army (this is four years after graduating college).

So by and large, what is the purpose of college? I think it is mostly social. Unless you are going to be a doctor or something really specialized, I doubt people end up doing what they thought they would 90% of the time. Get good enough grades to stay in, but build your friendships and get to know people. It is the only thing that lasts that you expect to, even if you don't see them for four years.

It is a sham that everyone says we have to go to college now. (Has anyone watched The Apprentice?) I wouldn't have traded it for the world and the above is probably the worst advice ever, but in my case (and friends' cases) so true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home