That's why it's called a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be "the way".

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Shop & Learn

I love buying clothes. I went to the mall today in an upper scale part of Phoenix. There were teenagers driving cars worth three times my vehicle with their music bumping, all chrome wheels spinning and all in all, just pimpin'. I am glad I don't live in Phoenix. I feel this pressure to buy stuff- to keep up- to compare my financial status through stuff. No wonder my husband was upset with me when we lived there- I went clothes shopping on lunch break at the Arizona Biltmore when I used to live there. I would spend $100 on lunch break, on makeup alone!

Anyway, today's shopping expedition was toned down. I haven't been clothes shopping in almost six months. I had a gift card to use from Christmas so I went to go get an outfit for my new office. (I start tomorrow.) I ended up with four outfits and learned something new about myself.

There is a new fashion trend for the ladies- empire waisted shirts. They had one in particular that was also a halter top. I tried it on. I looked like a hooker (high class, of course). I loved the shirt. I felt like I should be walking down the red carpet or in the red light district- whatever.

I didn't buy any slutty clothes, but I loved seeing them on. I live in a small town where I know everyone and there is never a good reason to wear a shirt like that. *sigh* It would have been another $40 if I lived in the big city where you can go out with a group of girlfriends and wear that and not have to worry about standing out too much. Someone else will look way sluttier than someone wearing a beautiful but tantalizing top. In fact, I remember going to the Arizona Center Mall and seeing this girl wearing 6" stilleto heels that have the little ribbon thingie that crisscrosses half way up the calf. To compliment those, she was wearing cropped pants in an olive green color made out of the the material that used to be used for parachute pants. To top it off, she had a half shirt on. She might as well have had a sign that said, "I'm free and I'm free." Sad! (Who am I to talk? I know! My sister is going to post about the shorts I used to own.)

So tomorrow is the day I start at the new firm. FUN! I have my new, cute, non-slutty outfit to wear.

9 Comments:

Blogger JPM said...

good work ladies I do love a shoper with a bit of restraint cause I surlly have none!

12:15 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you have a great first day at your new job!

I ADORE those cute front criss cross shirts that are low cut, but I look like Anna Nicole Smith in it and then all night (small town too!) I am getting the scuzzies coming up to because they think I am easy, so now I just stick to the turtle necks!

6:14 AM

 
Blogger Martini Love said...

Good luck at the new job!!

7:05 AM

 
Blogger Amber Lynn said...

Thank you for your well wishing! Luckily, it is not a new job, just a new company so I don't have the whole adjustment issue but I am still nervous.

9:07 AM

 
Blogger thtgrl said...

Good luck tomorrow! Good move on the conservative outfit...at least for work! You should buy a top you really like and go out in Pheonix one night, just for fun!

10:00 AM

 
Blogger jake said...

daisy dukes!?! sweet. good luck at the job, i'm sure you'll do fine. In other news...I think you should get a pair of 6" heels...and wear them to a halloween party or something of that caliber.

10:02 AM

 
Blogger Amber Lynn said...

Jake- Yes. Daisy dukes. All my shorts were those kind. I lived by the mantra- If you've got it, flaunt it.

I would not be able to walk in 6" heels.

1:33 PM

 
Blogger luke said...

daisy dukes frikkin rule.

cheers to your new job...

1:35 PM

 
Blogger Amber Lynn said...

I am kinda embarassed about my daisy dukes....can we change the subject? Okay, time for a new post on my blog.

1:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home