That's why it's called a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be "the way".

Sunday, February 27, 2005

To Hear or To See?

I saw a question asked, "If you had to choose between being blind or being deaf, which would it be and why?"

I would choose to be blind. Because I would be blind to judging someone by the way they look. I would be blind to obsessing about the dirt in the corners of my house. I would be blind to mean looks from people. I would be blind to worring about if I looked like the woman the media portrays for me to be. I would be blind to envying someone's possessions. I would be blind to lust. I would be color blind to racism. I would gain an hour back every day of my life because I probably wouldn't put so much thought and time into hair, makeup and wardrobe. Mostly, I would be blind from having to read my blog! But, If love is blind, that's what I would want to be.

If I couldn't hear I would forever miss the sound of the guitar when it is played. I would miss the piano notes. I would miss laughter. I would miss hearing people say, "I love you." I would always be left to my thoughts and trying to read people's faces and mouths. I would not be moved by the total emotion of music anymore. I would miss hearing my family speak. I would miss the busy sounds when people are gathered together. I would miss the noises of a kitchen when friends and family are around.

I am glad I can see stars, sunsets and Sedona. I am glad I can see my husbands eyes when he says, "I love you." I am eternally grateful that I can see and hear the beauty of life. It's a gift I take for granted.

3 Comments:

Blogger luke said...

if i were a blind guy i would trade my hearing in any day to see a sunset over the ocean.

12:35 PM

 
Blogger Amber Lynn said...

I actually found this question to be intriguing. And I am sure everyone would have a different answer, like Luke here....I guess that's the point. But thanks for the input, Joe. If anyone ever asks you what the stupidest question EVER is, you will now have an answer. :o)

2:26 PM

 
Blogger JPM said...

Well said amber!

7:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home