That's why it's called a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be "the way".

Sunday, March 06, 2005

A Scooby Doo Moment

I woke up and didn't want to be awake. Sam the dog kept making some obvious morning noises that don't constitue getting yelled at but are still enough to stir me out of my slumber.

How could you really get mad at him?

My sister has posted today about boys trying to figure out her boob size. It reminded me of a story from growing up together.

*Scooby Doo Moment* When I was 16, I was 5'10" and weighed maybe 125 pounds. Friends told me I could turn sideways and hide behind a flagpole. Lanky is a very good word. I had very little in the boob department. My sister was 12 at the time. She outgrew a bra and being the good, sharing little sister she is, she said, "This bra doesn't fit me anymore. Do you want it?" It didn't fit me either. It was too big. She hit puberty at 10. I hit puberty at 18. *Back to the present*

So what did God gift me with to balance out the universe?

*Scooby Doo Moment* When I was 18, my sister and I were hanging out. She walks into the living room with a cookie. "Will you get me a cookie?" I ask. "This is the last one," she says. I plead with her to give it to me. She won't budge. Being the older sister, I can usually get the little sister to do what I want without fighting or anything. I got her to move into the closet in 2 different houses. We shared a room for a very long time. Is this a flashback in a flashback? Back to the orginal flashback. She still has her cookie and hasn't eaten any of it. We chat a little bit and then she asks me, "How do you get people to do what you want all the time? You are really good at that. Will you teach me how to manipulate people?" I respond, "I will if you give me your cookie." *Back to the present*

So growing up my sister had the boobs and all the boys would have conversations with her and their eyes would never leave her chest. We discussed buying a button that said, "They don't talk back."

I had the ability to make people do almost anything I wanted. I don't know how, couldn't write a "how-to" book on it. It just was that way. I was great at manipulation. I could play my family like a fiddle. I could get guys to bow down. I could get friends or strangers to give me what I want. It just worked. I think it is something I picked up around the age of 2.

About the age of 20, I decided getting through life manipulating people wasn't fair. It destroys the balance of relationships. So I have given it up. Well, until the next time the last cookie is claimed.

7 Comments:

Blogger thtgrl said...

I think I went through a stage where I used my boobs to manipulate people into getting me what I wanted. (read: I barely had to ask for anything because it was always offered while staring at my boobs).

I think I would have prefered to sharpen my skills to manipulate people, later in life I think I've gotten better at it, but don't practice it often. Mostly because I don't like to be manipulated myself!

4:45 PM

 
Blogger Amber Lynn said...

This was a manipulation that was gender and age neutral. I just have a knack.

I also have an eerie ability to read people now. Like, I just can sense what is going on in a situation or with someone on very little information. I can meet someone once very briefly and tell you what they are all about. Just a look or something. I am pretty sure the two are tied together. It's mostly about understanding people's motivations and playing on those.

8:47 PM

 
Blogger thtgrl said...

I agree, I think I can tell someone's up to something even if they're smiling and talking to another person!

6:45 AM

 
Blogger JPM said...

I have so much to say on manipulation I think I will write a post. maybe tonight or on my next day off?

8:03 AM

 
Blogger Amber Lynn said...

Pete- I am sure there is much to be said on the topic. I think once people begin to realize life isn't all about themselves they begin to NOT manipulate. (I hope.)

Annalisa, I mentioned you were being nice. You weren't being mean, just sharing.

8:24 AM

 
Blogger thtgrl said...

Pete~ You have no time to do anything of the sort! You are too busy writing my 3 week late love letter, dear!

(I guess that wasn't a very good attempt at manipulation)

:)

1:46 PM

 
Blogger Amber Lynn said...

Looney- I would rule the world!

5:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home