That's why it's called a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be "the way".

Friday, March 25, 2005

L.A.F.S.?

Does Love at First Sight exist? I don't know. It never did for me. We look at people and they might fit our dating type, they might not. If they don't, we usually dismiss them mentally and continue looking.

The quiz in the post below was to have people identify what their type was. Everyone is sleeping in today, and I cannot wait, so I am going to make my point.

I think whatever our "type" of person is that we are attracted to is the combination of the most superficial things in ourselves that we are attracted to. For purposes of dating, types are important. For purposes of relationships, types fall apart.

We might be attracted to the "outdoor" type because we like the idea of having a rugged man around to handle business. What he might end up being is a beer drinking couch potato unless outside.

We might be attracted to the high maintenance person who is beautiful. But underneath, the relationships all boil down to how that person is feeling or looking. They don't have much time to truly worry about anyone else.

Types vary. And I could never date outside of my type. I needed the pretty man. I was a pretty woman. It was just the way I wanted things. My eyes were magnets for the pretty boys. I had friends that weren't pretty boys, but I was never attracted to them.

So, once again, how did I end up with the punk? He changed my type. I have to bully him into shaving sometimes. He keeps his head shaved for the most part because he has no clue what to do with hair. He has to ask me if color match to wear. He does not own a tie. He hates the smell of Obsession cologne.

But when it boils down, none of those things matter. Sure, my biggest fantasy with J is to take him to Banana Republic and buy him a whole new wardrobe that he would happily wear, but that's not gonna happen.

The other thing is that we have no hobbies in common. Not one. Well, I take that back. We both like to play volleyball but we haven't done that since college. He plays music. I have previously divulged that I cannot even play the armpit. He is an all around athlete. I am a klutz. I like to go camping and hiking. He prefers staying at home. I like to travel. He hates watching movies. I am a movie buff. I am a social butterfly. He is mostly anti-social.

So what's the deal? We have the same beliefs. We are faithful to each other, considerate, honest and we both have really good senses of humor and an aversion to fighting with each other. I look out for him, he looks out for me. We communicate the same way (although that did take some work). We think a lot alike. I think he is funny when he is trying to be. He thinks I am funny when I am not trying to be.

And the biggest asset we have is that he knows how to diffuse an Amber-bomb in about 2 seconds flat before it goes off.