That's why it's called a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be "the way".

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Throw Away Jane

A girl named Jane started coming every week. She hid her face behind a curtain of long, blonde hair and refused to make eye contact with anyone. She would only speak when she wasn't supposed to and never wrinkled her eyes with a smile. For six months she came regularly. For six months she hid.

At 12 years old, Jane was stuck in a world of addictions to alcohol, drugs and lesbianism and sleeping around with guys. She had a mom who would occassionally call her to remind Jane that she hated her. Her mom used to beat her and do drugs in front of her before Jane moved to Cottonwood. Now she lives with a dysfunctional dad and a step-mom who hits her. In July, we wanted her to start becoming a part of something so I told her if she would come clean a house with me I would give her the $250 to go on a trip with the rest of the team. She went.

Now Jane smiles. She dresses different. She picks me out of a crowd to come give me a hug. She has no friends left because she doesn't sleep around, do drugs or have a girlfriend. She is happy. She is bubbly. She is about to get her drivers permit and wants to practice on my car so she can get her permit. She doesn't understand why I trust her or take her to get a Frappicino or lunch on a whim. She doesn't understand that someone would take an interest in her and love her out of friendship.

I find throw aways and help them realize they are more than the garbage that has been poured into them. There will always be Janes for me in this life and I will always do what I can to help them become the beautiful person they are with the purpose in life they really have.

3 Comments:

Blogger thtgrl said...

Oh, amber, what you had in your last post is more than a dream. You're making it your reality and I admire you for your making a difference.

5:12 PM

 
Blogger Amber Lynn said...

Jane is a real girl (different name) that is in my life. There are a bunch more out there and my dream is to see them have a life. I guess I do know from experience it can be done.

7:23 PM

 
Blogger Amber Lynn said...

NSM- I figure everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I used to hate churches in general myself. Thanks for the comment! ;o)

9:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home