That's why it's called a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be "the way".

Thursday, February 17, 2005

I'm Feeling Philosophical

So I realized that there are so many things in life I could be....
and so many things I am not.

Even if you just take what I am already doing but make it better...
If I could devote all my time and energy to just one thing that I am....

I could be the next millionaire real estate developer, really the top "dog" in the game.

I could be the most physically fit person and look like the movie stars.

I could be the most spiritual person and spend all my time devoted to a higher cause. (Which it is, but in a sense of making a statement like Gandhi.)

I could have the cleanest house all the time. (Sans dog poop)

I could one thing well if that was all I had to do.

But instead I am a wife with a cold who runs a household, tries to maintain a full-time job while devoted part time to volunteer work and spends much free time to God-related stuff and blogging with little free time being spent on maintaining a body shape (Fighting the pear shape off desperately) who keeps up on some regular prime time TV shows (*sigh) and maintains serious friendships in at least 3 states and spends as much time as possible letting family know I care.

Therefore, I am not SuperWoman in any one area. I am average in most, above average in some and probably failing in others.

1 Comments:

Blogger D.R. Steeve said...

I saw your comment on the Progress For America blog and followed you here. I don't know you, but I felt compelled to respond to this post.

Far to often we judge ourselves by societal perceptions. In today's feminist/liberal leaning perception of a woman (one who abandons the illogics of God, transcends the oppression of marriage, surpasses the expectations of the condescending male population, doesn't burden themselves with the tyranny of the family, etc...) it is easy to feel like the role of the hard working, God fearing, loving wife is little more than a fruitless pursuit of a shallow underachievement.

I admire people like you. People who give selflessly of their time to help others. People who support their husbands, support their families and friends, and love doing so. People who, despite a nagging cold (of which I too am currently suffering) find the strength of character within themselves to continue giving and supporting. I admire your commitment to God despite an elitist minority's condescending opinion of your "simple minded/ sheepishness".

Sure, you may not sell the most houses out there. Sure, you may not be the all knowing spiritual guru that others are, but your spiritual life, your relationship with God is yours. It belongs to no one else. Instead of selling more and more property, you are helping someone accomplish their own goals through your volunteerism. Is that not more valuable than a few more dollars to spend on more things? Instead of chasing the latest instant fitness fad you are creating lasting memories with friends. The capital of friendship is lifelong and unlike a perhaps more slender body, will help carry you through the ups and downs of life.

There are always people who are better at us in certain areas, but you are giving of yourself and being the best you that you can be and there is nothing better than that.

God Bless.

D Steeve
http://righthouse.blogspot.com

11:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home