That's why it's called a shortcut. If it were easy, it would just be "the way".

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Such a Tease

My little sister got mad at me today. I am sure I am innocent as usual. She is 24. I am 28. We can still get lost in our little world where we can act like kids and laugh about things that happened when we were smaller. We have a bond like none other. I love my husband to pieces. He is my number one love, but there is a sister thing that can't be duplicated or replaced.

Anyway, my sister has a crush. She has been trying very hard to hide this from big sis. But the shoe dropped, the cat got out of the bag, the elephant was discussed.

She was very excited about getting April 20th off of work because her idol, the band U2, is going to be in concert in Phoenix on that day and her and I go see them together every time they come on tour. She will even take other friends to Las Vegas (4 hour drive) when they head up there. Once a tour is enough for me, but her U2 appetite is insatiable. To further explain the craziness that is her U2 fever, she even thinks that when Bono had a mullet he was sexy. I don't think Bono is sexy even at his best. (Well, maybe in the "One" video.) He has mojo, but sexy is just pushing it.

I told her that getting April 20th off was the most exciting thing that has happened all year. (It was sarcasm on my part, she agreed whole-heartedly.) Then she said that it was the most exciting thing so far this year but she was excited about Friday, too. I started running through my Daytimer in my head and came up blank on what is happening on Friday. So I asked her what was happening. She said that Joe was taking her out. Now, Joe is her friend but as of a few months ago that she couldn't stand him but he has worn her down. I won't say he has worn her down with charm because I haven't seen any of that yet. I personally think he is mostly cheesy, but I digress. For her to compare a date with a boy, er, man to the U2 concert is HUGE! It dawned on me that she had passed far beyond friendship with Joe if she is seeing Joe on the same playing field as U2.

Like any good older sister, I started to tease her. "Annalisa and Joe, sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G. I told her I was going to start talking about my husband every thirty seconds. (Falsetto voice) "Oh, Jeremy is home from work and he is watching basketball on TV. He is just the cutest." I started to send her those little kissing lips on MSN messenger. She got really mad with me and told me I was being mean.

I had to call and make up to her for teasing her about having a crush. I remember the excitement of having someone new consume all my thoughts and to be the topic of 99% of my conversations. I also remember once the butterflies died and dropped off trying to adjust to someone else and create a relationship that would last with my husband. It was tough sometimes, but so worth it! People are impressed with the kind of relationship my husband and I have. They ask me how I "knew" that he was the ONE and that we would get along so well.

I tell them I didn't know. I think who you marry is a crap-shoot. When my husband and I were engaged, we lived an hour and a half from each other and we didn't have cars that would make it the distance. We fought incessantly. At one point, I remember wondering if I should really marry him. My answer at the time was finally, "I'd be more miserable without him than with him." Some things are just meant to be but I don't think we always know it at the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home